Health Information Management

Health Information Management (HIM) professionals are experts in managing the collection, storage, retrieval, analysis and interpretation of health care data and information. To provide the highest quality health care delivery, health care information is used not only for patient care, but also for medical legal issues, reimbursement, research, planning and evaluation.

A career in health information management combines the disciplines of medicine, information technology, management, and law within the healthcare industry.

Opportunities for employment are found in a variety of settings, including hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centers, home health agencies, health maintenance organizations, insurance agencies, governmental agencies, educational institutions and research centers.

Professional Credentials

A bachelor of science degree is awarded upon completion of the curriculum. A graduate is eligible to take the national certification examination to become a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA).

 

Program Accreditation

The Health Information Management degree program at Arkansas Tech University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). CAHIIM is the accrediting organization for degree-granting programs in health informatics and information management. CAHIIM serves the public interest by establishing quality standards for the educational preparation of future health information management professionals. When a program is accredited by CAHIIM, it means that it has voluntarily undergone a rigorous review process and has been determined to meet or exceed the accreditation standards.

CAHIIM

For the 2016-2017 school year, the HIM Program had 100% student retention rate and also 100% graduation rate. Out of the total number of graduates for the 2016-2017 school year, 82% are employed in the HIM field and the remaining 18% have been accepted into a graduate level educational program.
 

Program Director


Melinda Wilkins, PhD, RHIA, FAHIMA
Dean Hall 201D
402 West O St
Russellville, AR 72801

Phone: (479) 968-0441
Email: mwilkins@atu.edu