Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
This page is incomplete and is under construction. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- Where are you located in Arkansas?The state of Arkansas lies on the central southwestern part of the United States. Russellville is located on Lake Dardanelle, approximately halfway between Little Rock (Pulaski County), the capitol of Arkansas state and Fort Smith (Sebastian County), and is the seat of Pope County. The largest town in the county, it is home to Arkansas's only nuclear power plant, Arkansas Nuclear One. A major business center of the area, it is home to Arkansas Tech University and ten divisions of Fortune 500 companies. For more information on Russellville, AR please visit http://www.russellvillearkansas.org/.
- How is the weather in your city?Russellville, AR, gets 49 inches of rain per year. The US average is 37. Snowfall is 3 inches. The average US city gets 25 inches of snow per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 90.On average, there are 223 sunny days per year in Russellville, AR. The July high is around 93 degrees. The January low is 27. Our comfort index, which is based on humidity during the hot months, is a 27 out of 100, where higher is more comfortable. The US average on the comfort index is 44. The highest average temperature in Russellville is August at 80.7 degrees. The coldest average temperature in Russellville is December at 40.6 degrees. The most monthly precipitation in Russellville occurs in September with 5.5 inches.
- What type of public transportation system you have in your town?Russellville is a small town. As of 2014, Russellville's population is 28,068 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 15.54 percent. Due to this size of population, there is no public transportation system. There are few taxi services are available. Most of the citizen of Russellville drive private car. Some rides bike.
- What is the approximate off campus housing rental rate in your town?The median home value in Russellville is 10.8% greater than the Arkansas average and 35.1% less than the National average. The median rental rate in Russellville is 1.8% less than the Arkansas average and 28.3% less than the National average. The living cost in Russellville is cheaper than the average cost in the United States
- How safe is the campus?Russellville is a very safe city. Russellville is safer than 21.3% of the cities in the nation. The crime rate in Russellville is less than other cities in Arkansas.Department of Public Safety (479-968-0222; firstname.lastname@example.org) at Arkansas Tech University patrols the campus and the area surrounding the campus 24 hours a day.
- Is on campus housing guaranteed?It is recommended that housing application must be completes as soon as possible. There no hundred percent guarantee in getting a room immediately. All residence hall space is offered on a first come, first serve. For detail information and enquiries please visit our housing web site at http://www.atu.edu/reslife/faq.php .
- Is staying on campus optional?Single students under 21, and with less than 60 hours of college work completed are required to live on campus. Students who live off campus without specific permission from the University are subject to disciplinary action including responsibility for all back charges for room and board incurred while living off campus.
- Do I have to have a meal plan?Yes, if you live in the residence halls, you are required to have a meal plan. However, those students who live in the University Commons Apartments and Vista Place are not required to have a meal plan.
- Can I have a meal plan even if I live off campus?If you leave off campus you will not have meal plan but you may add money (Wonderbucks) to your student ID through the Student Accounts Office. Wonderbucks are funds added to your student account that can be used at any of the Chartwells locations; Chambers Cafeteria, Baswell Technionery, and the convenience store located in Doc Bryan. Wonderbucks can also be used at the Bookstore located in the Young Building, athletic event concessions, and at the library for printing. Wonderbucks can be reloaded at any time in person at Office of Student Accounts or on their website, www.atu.edu/stuaccts for your convenience.
- What are the rules to cancel housing contract or change the room?The contract that you sign is a legally binding contract, which means that you can be held to the terms of the contract for the entire contract period. In the residence halls, the housing contracts are for the full academic year. In the University Commons Apartments, you have the choice to sign a 9-month or 12-month contract. Please read the contract carefully before signing. Room changes are not permitted until after the second week of classes. During "move-on days", you will have an opportunity to do room changes. However, all proper paperwork must be completed and turned in within the scheduled time period. Check with your Residence Assistant (RA) to find out when "move-on days" are.
- Do students stay on campus during the semester break (Winter break & Summer)?You need to make special arrangement with the residence life office (479-968-0376; email@example.com) to stay in dorm during the break.
- Is cafeteria open during semester break?Cafeteria has different hours during semester break. Please visit our cafeteria website for detail and hours at http://www.dineoncampus.com/arkansastech/ .
- Who do I contact if I have more questions regarding housing?You may contact the residence life at 479 968 0376; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com ; or visit http://www.atu.edu/reslife/index.php
- Is it mandatory to have health insurance for international students?Health insurance is mandatory at Arkansas Tech University for international students and their accompanying dependents (spouse and/or children). Health care can be very costly in the USA; The USA does not have a national health care plan and the services may be restricted if you do not have health insurance. Due to these reason our university offers an international student health insurance plan. You must have an active international student health insurance throughout your studies in the USA.Approximately how many international students do you have in your university?We have more than 450 international students out of overall 12, 000 total enrollments at Arkansas Tech University.
- Approximately how many international students do you have in your university?We have more than 400 international students out of overall 12, 000 total enrollments at Arkansas Tech University.
- The majority of students are from which countries?Our university has international students from thirty two different countries around the world. Most of our students are from China, India, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Nepal and more.
- Are you interested in increasing country diversity?Yes, we very much interested in increasing country diversity at our university.
- What is the average class size in your University?The class size varies in undergraduate and graduate program. And also it varies depending on the level. In general it is around thirty to fourty in undergraduate class, and around fifteen to twenty in graduate program.
- Is there any specific important item that I must bring with me to the United States?In general, there are some very important items you will NOT want to pack in your checked baggage; rather, you will want to have them handy at all times and packed in your carry–on bag. These items are:
Money (For taxi rides to and from airports, phone calls, emergencies, etc...)
Other official documentation
- How far is the Airport from Arkansas Tech University?It is about 1 h 19 min (79.7 mi) by driving via highway I-40 W.
- Is there any specific arrangement to pick up new students from the Airport?Yes, IMSSO usually will arrange one free airport pick up shuttle before orientation. For more date, time and signing up information please visit http://www.atu.edu/imsso/newstudentinfo.php.
- Is there any special arrangement for disabilities at the University?
Yes, for more information please visit http://www.atu.edu/disabilities/index.php
Their phone number is Phone: +1(479) 968-0302.
- How do I apply?
There is an online application available to be filled out that must be submitted first. Supported documents such as Official Academic Records, English Proficiency, Entrance Exam scores, Evidence Official Financial Support and Passport copies are needed for any further process of the application.
It is recommend for students to read though the Admission Procedures for International Students at http://www.atu.edu/imsso/admission.php
Then you may start to fill out an online application at http://www.atu.edu/imsso/application.php
- What is the minimum Grade Point Average required for admission?The minimum GPA for undergraduate admission is 2.0.
The minimum GPA for graduate admission is 2.5.
- Do I have to choose a major when I apply?Yes, you do need to choose a major when you apply.
- What supporting documents do I need to send?
In general, the supporting documents includes Academic Records, English Proficiency Proof, Entrance Exam, Financial Support, a copy of Passport as well as any previous visas to the US, I-20’s and an I-94 card if available.
However, supporting documents may vary depends on applicants’ category. For more detail information, please visit us at http://www.atu.edu/imsso/admission.php
- Where or which office do I send the admission documents?The admission documents should be sent to International and Multicultural Student Services office at: Tomlinson Building, Room 029, Arkansas Tech University, 1507 North Boulder Avenue, Russellville, Arkansas 72801-2222, USA
- Can I fax or scan all the supporting documents?We require the original official documents for transcripts and financial supports. Other documents can be faxed or scanned. However, we prefer to have everything in one package if possible.
- Is ACT or SAT a must requirement?Students who have not completed the ACT or SAT may take the COMPASS exam on campus upon arrival and after admission to assist in advisement and course placement. However, if ACT or SAT scores are available, please provide this documentation along with the application for admission. Students with more than 24 semester hours of earned college-level credit are not required to take an entrance exam.
- Is there any benefit if I have ACT/SAT score?
Yes, students will not have to compass exam if they have ACT/SAT score.
- Is there any different requirement or process for transfer applicants?Yes, there are different requirement for transfer applicants. For more information, please visit us at http://www.atu.edu/imsso/admission.php
- What documents should I submit to transfer my credit hours?
- How soon I will be informed about my transfer credit hours?
- What are the options if I do not have any TOEFL/IELTS/ or English Proficiency?Students could apply for admission to the English Language Institute (ELI) if they do not have any TOEFL/IELTS/ or English Proficiency.
- What is the application deadline?For newest update of application deadline, visit our admission page at http://www.atu.edu/imsso/admission.php
- Do you accept application after deadline?No, we do not accept a late application.
- How long is the application processing time?Usually, application processing time takes three weeks.
- How soon can I register for class after acceptance?One can register for classes after attending Mandatory International Student Orientation. For details about International Student Orientation, please visit our page http://www.atu.edu/imsso/admission.php
- How do I pay the application fee?Once we receive your application, we will email you a link to pay your application fee.
- How much are the tuition fees and living cost?
Tuition, Fees and Living costs are all listed in the link below.
- Do I need to bring and pay the whole one year cost at the time of registration upon
arrival to the university?No. You can set up a payment plan with the university for Tuition and Fees. You can only pay for one semester at a time.
- What is the best way of communication regarding application processing status?The best way is to Email at (firstname.lastname@example.org) or give us a call on +1(479) 964-0832.
- Is there any financial aid for international students?
- Is there any scholarship available for international students?For detailed information on International Student Scholarships please visit http://www.atu.edu/imsso/scholarships.php
Will my major be on the I-20 while being in English Language Institute?No, when taking ELI classes, Second Language Learning shall be stated on the I-20. Upon completing, the student will receive another I-20 stating the current major he or she has been admitted to.
If an applicant is denied admission, can he/she apply again?Yes, the applicant may reapply that is if only he or she meets the admission requirements of the program.
If a student's visa is rejected, will his/her admission be cancelled?No, student’s admission will be valid if there is time for reapplying visa. Students also have the option to deferral their admission to next semester
What is the process of deferring an application?
Students seeking to defer admission to a future term must submit the following documentation:
$25 Deferral Fee
Updated Evidence of Financial Support or Financial Sponsor Statement
Please send a written request for deferral to the IMSSO to the address along with the fee and updated financial support documentation within 60 days of the start date of your last admission.
For more information check at http://www.atu.edu/imsso/DeferralofAdmissions.php
Curriculum Practical Training (CPT)
Am I eligible for CPT?
Can I work two or more places during CPT?
Optional Practical Training (OPT)