Department of Art
The Art Department is committed to quality visual arts education consistent with high professional standards. To achieve its mission, the Art Department seeks to provide:
- A strong core foundation in visual art concepts and vocabulary in combination with the techniques, skills, and art processes to accomplish advanced projects.
- Substantive curriculum content that engages and challenges students to think critically about their intellectual response to art as well as their own creative process.
- Historical perspectives necessary for student understanding of the role of art across time, as a form of communication, and in cultural contexts.
- Opportunities for developing a portfolio consistent with areas of professional specialization.
- Leadership in developing and providing access to visual arts programming for the university and community.
- Internships that offer students opportunities to work with professionals in their fields of study.
Foundations Core Courses
All majors (except Game and Interactive Media Design) will enroll in a foundations core made up of:
- ART 1303 Introduction to Drawing
- ART 1403 Two-dimensional Design
- ART 2403 Color Design
- ART 2413 Three-dimensional Design
*These courses may be taken independently of one another, and more than one may be taken in a semester.
All art majors are required to enroll in the ART 1001 Introduction to Art course which provides an orientation to the art program and to the university, and the ART 3001 Sophomore Review course which serves as a review of the student’s skills in the above four required foundation courses. All art students are also required to take twelve hours of art history.
Fine Art and Graphic Design students are required to exhibit their work in a culminating Senior Exhibition in their Senior Year.
Dr. Dawn M. Ward, Head
Norman Hall, Room 104
David Mudrinich, Dawn Ward
Lyn Brands, Ty Brunson, Neal Harrington
Joshua Fisher, Jasmine Greer, Jessica Mongeon, Dustin Simpson
For more information, please visit http://www.atu.edu/art/