Arkansas River Valley
Wildland Fire Academy
The 2017 Arkansas River Valley Wildland Fire Academy was a great sucess! We would like to give a big thank you to all who participated. Please check back in January for the 2018 schedule!
The Arkansas River Valley Wildland Fire Academy is entering its twentieth year at Arkansas Tech University. With an average attendance of over 300 students, the academy strives to meet the diverse needs of all firefighters by providing a well-rounded, safe and welcoming learning environment. Our mission is to enhance the abilities and skills of each firefighter in attendance.
This year the academy is offering courses geared towards wildland firefighters from all wildland fire agencies ranging from 4 to 40 hours in length. Each course is taught by instructors from state and federal agencies, allowing the academy to provide unique experiences as well as a wealth of professional knowledge and abilities to each course.
Participating agencies in the Arkansas River Valley Wildland Fire Academy include:
- U.S. Forest Service
- Arkansas Forestry Commission
- Bureau of Indian Affairs
- National Park Service
- Arkansas Game and Fish Commission
- The Nature Conservancy
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Oklahoma Department of Forestry
- Department of Defense Personnel
- Oklahoma Native American tribes sponsored by the U.S. Forest Service which include The Apache Tribe, Caddo Nation, Cherokee Nation, Choctaw Nation, Kiowa Nation, and Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma.
The mission of the Arkansas River Valley Wildland Fire Academy is to provide professional wildland fire training that meets the National Wildfire Coordinating Group Standards.
Mission will be achieved by:
- Providing concentrated, quality and professional training in an interagency environment.
- Providing quality training that enhances advancement opportunities for attendees in the wildland firefighting profession.
- Promoting safety and integrating the efforts of State, Federal, and Tribal organizations by utilizing the Incident Command System.
- Facilitating a national approach to incident management by providing cognitive and hands-on experiences.